Universal American School, Middle School
Weekly Assignment Schedule
from December 12, 2010 to December 16, 2010
Holmes Social Studies 6th
• Receive weekly schedule and Chapter 5 study packet: Sec. 3 & 4
• Turn in your Clay Soldier
• In Class Activity: Barter system of trade
- Read Section 3 and answer guiding questions and begin vocabulary
- Review Graphic Organizers for Sec. 1 & 2
• Watch Film and review Sec. 3 using graphic organizer
- Read Section 4 and answer guiding questions and begin vocabulary
- Review Graphic Organizers for Sec. 1, 2, and 3
• Review Sec. 4 using graphic organizer
• Take Quiz covering Chp. 5
- Complete any parts of Chp. 5 study packet that you still haven’t finished and review all graphic organizers in preparation for Chp. 5 test on Thursday
• Receive Quiz that we took on Tuesday
• Chp. 5 Power Point review
- Complete Chp. 5 packet, study from it as well as Power Point, and review graphic organizers. You will be explaining what you understood about Chp. 5 in writing, so you need a “back pack” full of information to help you write your essays
• Take Chp. 5 Test and Turn in study packet
- Have a great holiday break and see you in 2011!!!
The Key to Success and Doing Well on Tests:
1. Come to Class and Participate
2. Spend Time Each Night Going over the homework. This is called studying. You shouldn’t need to spend that much time doing so. The point is to do it and do it consistently.
3. Get Your Parents Involved – Have Them Quiz You.
4. Come to class confident and come prepared to demonstrate that you understand the content on test day.
NOTE TO PARENTS/STUDENTS:
IF AT ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CANNOT GET THE HOMEWORK DONE BECAUSE OF OTHER COURSE RESPONSIBILITIES, PUT THE SOCIAL STUDIES ASSIGNMENTS ON HOLD, AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT OR TAKE A BREAK. HOMEWORK IS DESIGNED FOR YOU TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE MATERIAL BEFORE WE REVIEW IT IN CLASS. IT ALSO GIVES YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO EARN SOME POINTS.
SSH-1.4 Compare the geographic, political, economic and social characteristics of the river civilizations in the Huang He River Valley before 1,000 B.C.
- Cultural and Scientific Contributions
SSPS-2.1 Compare the cultural practices and products of the societies studied including:
- Class Structure
- Gender Roles
- Customs and Traditions
The Huang He Valley: From its beginning, over 6,000 years ago in the Huang He Valley, Chinese culture influenced much of Asia. Over the centuries its culture has also influenced cultures in other parts of the world. In this chapter, you will learn about China’s beginnings. It is a story of soldiers, scholars, emperors, and farmers. Read on to learn more about Chinese history and culture.
Section 1 – The Huang He Valley
• Locate and describe the features of the Huang He
• Analyze the effects of the Huang He on the development of the Huang He valley culture
• Identify the geographical regions of China
Section 2 – The First Dynasties of China
• Describe the government and culture of the Shang dynasty
• Explain how China changed under the Zhou dynasty
• Identify the cultural advances that occurred during the Warring States Period
Section 3 – The First Chinese Empires
• Describe the events that helped build the first Chinese empire
• Analyze and evaluate the reign of Shihuangdi
• Explain the effects that the Qin dynasty had on China
Section 4 – The Han Dynasty
• Describe the Han Culture
• Analyze the reasons for the success of the Han dynasty
• Explain the reasons for the decline and fall of the Han dynasty
Assessment (Tests/Quizzes): The following will be assessed:
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 Chapter 5 Quiz
Thursday, December 16, 2010 Chapter 5 Test