Universal American School, Middle School
Weekly Assignment Schedule
from March 20, 2011 to March 24, 2011
Holmes Social Studies 6th
• Receive and review new weekly schedule (REMEMBER: It is just an outline that can be changed at any time)
• Work on Sec. 4 Q’s in class, and review main points of Sec. 3 – G.O.
• People who didn’t present their current events on Thursday, will need to do so today
- Complete Sec. 4 Q’s, reading, and vocab
- Review all other section Q’s, G.O.’s, and vocab in preparation for Thursday’s test
- Continue working on Power Point
• Review Sec. 4 Q’s, Vocab, and G.O.
• Tour History Day Gallery
- Study for Thursday’s test and work on Power Point
• Review for Chp. 10 Test – Power Point
- Study for Chp. 10 Test
• Review for Chp. 10 Test – White Board Review or Game
• Complete Power Point if necessary
• Review Presentation Tips for Upcoming Power Point Presentations
- Study for Chp. 10 Test
• Chp. 10 Test
• Turn in Chp. 10 Materials for Grade
• Sign up for presentation day and receive Rubric
- Get ready for next week’s presentations
The Key to Success and Doing Well on Tests:
1. Come to Class and Participate
2. Spend Time Each Night Going over the homework. This is called studying. You shouldn’t need to spend that much time doing so. The point is to do it and do it consistently.
3. Get Your Parents Involved – Have Them Quiz You.
4. Come to class confident and come prepared to demonstrate that you understand the content on test day.
NOTE TO PARENTS/STUDENTS:
IF AT ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CANNOT GET THE HOMEWORK DONE BECAUSE OF OTHER COURSE RESPONSIBILITIES, PUT THE SOCIAL STUDIES ASSIGNMENTS ON HOLD, AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT OR TAKE A BREAK. HOMEWORK IS DESIGNED FOR YOU TO FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE MATERIAL BEFORE WE REVIEW IT IN CLASS. IT ALSO GIVES YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO EARN SOME POINTS.
SSG-3.5 Describe ways human settlements and activities are influenced by environmental factors and processes in different places and regions including:
- Bodies of water
- Seismic Activity
SSPS-2.1 Compare the cultural practices and products of the societies studied including:
- Class Structure
- Gender Roles
- Customs and Traditions
Chapter 10 - African Civilizations:
In ancient Africa, civilizations south of the Sahara Desert grew wealthy from trade with European and Arab merchants. In East Africa, Aksum became a trading center for about 800 years, and Great Zimbabwe thrived. In West Africa, the Ghana, Mali, and Songhai empires gained control of the salt and gold trade.
Section 1 - African Geography
• Identify Africa’s major geographical features
• Describe how people have adapted the African environment to their own uses
Section 2 – The Kingdome of Aksum
• Describe the role trade played in the success of the kingdom of Aksum
• Identify Aksum’s cultural and economic accomplishments
Section 3 – West African Empires
• Identify characteristics of each of the 3 West African kingdoms – Ghana, Mali, and Songhai
• Analyze the economy of each kingdom
Section 4 – Great Zimbabwe and the Coastal Cities
• Locate and describe Great Zimbabwe
• Explain how Great Zimbabwe’s economy worked
Assessment (Tests/Quizzes): The following will be assessed:
March 24, 2011 Chapter 10 Test (Thursday)