#1 The Life of Jesus
- Born a Jew in Judea
- His story is told in the New Testament (1 of 2 books that make up the BIBLE)
- Majority of the community of Judea disliked Roman Rule
- Became "Messiah" - like a prophet at the age of 30
- Word Messiah in Greek is Christos - "Christians" and "Christianity"
#2 Jesus' Message
- Messsages of God and Jesus are called parables and are recorded in "New Testament"
- Jesus was arrested in city of Jerusalem during Jewish festival (Passover) by Romans and sentenced to death by crucifixion = nailed to a cross and left to die
- According to the New Testament, Jesus rose from the dead 3 days later, met with his apostels, and the rose to heaven - Easter Sunday
- Churches began to be built throughout the Roman Empire
#3 An Emperor Accepts Christianity
- Soon powerful Roman citizens and leaders became interested in the message (love, peace, tolerance, hope) of Christianity (Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine)
- Constantine later made religion one of the official religions of Roman Empire. Christians were finally free to practice their faith without being attacked