Universal American School, Middle School
Weekly Assignment Schedule
from October 10, 2010 to October 14, 2010
Holmes Social Studies 6th
• Receive weekly schedule (you need to start getting it signed each day - for a grade)
• Chp. 2 Review for the test: Power Point (one more resource for you to use if you are still confused about any major concepts) Study for Chp. 2 Test using the following resources:
1. Foldable vocab, chapter summaries, and HW Questions/Answer cards
2. Graphic Organizers
3. Power Point Notes
4. Film Notes if you have
- Bring these things tomorrow to turn in for Grade
• Chapter 2 Test: The Fertile Crescent (You will turn everything in for grade when you finish test)
- No Homework
• Understanding time using a timeline activity/lesson
- Read Chp. 3, Sec. 1, pp. 82-85 and complete questions on pg. 85, 1-5. WRITE QUESTIONS AND THEN ANSWER THEM NEATLY ON NOTEBOOK PAPER WITH TITLE, NAME, AND SECTION NUMBER WRITTEN NEATLY ON THE TOP!!!
• Current Event Workshop!!!
• Review Chp. 2 Test
• Chp. 2, Section 1 Graphic Organizer
- Read Chp. 3, Sec. 2, pp. 88-95 and complete questions on pg. 95, 1-5. WRITE QUESTIONS AND THEN ANSWER THEM NEATLY ON NOTEBOOK PAPER WITH TITLE, NAME, AND SECTION NUMBER WRITTEN NEATLY ON THE TOP!!!
• Turn in Weekly Schedule with parent signatures next to each day (total of 5)
• Chp. 3, Sec. 1 and 2 Group Activity
2. King’s Crown
5. Building a Pyramid
- No Homework
The Key to Success and Doing Well on Tests:
1. Come to Class and Participate
2. Spend Time Each Night Going over the homework. This is called studying. You shouldn’t need to spend that much time doing so. The point is to do it and do it consistently.
3. Get Your Parents Involved – Have Them Quiz You.
4. Come to class confident and come prepared to demonstrate that you understand the content on test day.
NOTE TO PARENTS/STUDENTS:
IF AT ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE YOU CANNOT GET THE HOMEWORK DONE BECAUSE OF OTHER COURSE RESPONSIBILITIES, PUT THE SOCIAL STUDIES ASSIGNMENTS ON HOLD, AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT OR TAKE A BREAK. YOU CAN ALWAYS CATCH UP ON WORK ASSIGNED BEFORE THE TWO WEEK STUDY OF THE CHAPTER ENDS, AT WHICH TIME I WILL COLLECT GRADED AS WELL AS LATE WORK. WORK THAT IS TURNED IN ON TIME WILL EARN YOU 100%. LATE WORK WILL EARN YOU A 75%, AND IF YOU DON’T TURN YOUR WORK IN AT ALL YOU WILL RECEIVE A 50%.
SSSM-7.3 Organize information using outlines and graphic organizers
SSH-1.2 Arrange dates in order on a time line using the conventions of B.C. and A.D. or B.C.E. and C.E.
SSH-1.4 Compare the geographic, political, economic and social characteristics of the river civilizations in Nile River Valley
• Cultural and scientific contributions
SSPS-2.1 Compare the cultural practices and products of the societies studied including:
• Class structure
• Gender roles
• Customs and traditions
Chapter 3 Objectives: The Nile River Valley –
The ancient Egyptians developed a great civilization on the banks of the Nile River. After 3100 B.C. a unified Egypt enjoyed a period of prosperity. Egyptians build great stone monuments, such as the pyramids, developed a system of writing, and traded with neighbors such as Kush.
Section 1 – The Gift of the Nile
• Describe the Nile River, the geographical area through which it runs, and the effects of its floods on ancient farms in the region
• Explain how the people of Egypt used the Nile River to develop a rich agriculture
Section 2 – The Kingdoms of Egypt
• Explain how ancient Egypt was unified
• Analyze the workings of government and the importance of religion in Egypt
• Describe the structure and purpose of the pyramids
• Explain the hieroglyphics, the Egyptian system of writing
Assessment (Tests/Quizzes) Dates (These Dates May/Can be changed at any point) and pop quizzes will be given with no notice if necessary The following will be assessed:
At this point your child should have the following resources to help them do well on Monday’s test
• Sec. 1, 2, 3, and 4 Graphic Organizers (notes taken in class)
• Student generated maps and completed map questions
• Foldable with chapter summaries, vocab cards, and Sec. 1, 2, 3, and 4 homework questions index cards (questions on one side, answers on the other side)
• Questions and answers (these should all be done because we watched film in class and discussed it) from film
Monday, October 11 Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent Test